- ICB 2019: Joshua Engelsma received the Best Paper Award for his paper "Generalizing Fingerprint Spoof Detector: Learning a One-Class Classifier" (by J. J. Engelsma and A. K. Jain) [pdf]
- CCBR 2016: Keyur Patel received the Best Student Paper Award for his paper "Cross-database Face Antispoofing with Robust Feature Representation" (by K. Patel, H. Han and A. K. Jain) [pdf]
- BIOSIG 2016: Sunpreet Arora received the Best Paper Award for his paper "3D Whole Hand Targets: Evaluating Slap and Contactless Fingerprint Readers" (by S. S. Arora, A. K. Jain and N. G. Paulter Jr.) [pdf]
- BIOSIG 2016: Yoshinori Koda received the Best Poster Award for his paper "Advances in Capturing Child Fingerprints: A High Resolution CMOSImage Sensor with SLDR Method" (by Y. Koda, T. Higuchi and A. K. Jain) [pdf]
- BTAS 2012: Sunpreet Arora received the Best Poster Award for his paper "On Iris Camera Interoperability" (by S. Arora, M. Vatsa, R. Singh, and Jain) [pdf]
- ICB 2012: Soweon Yoon received the IAPR Best Biometric Student Paper Award for her paper "On Matching Altered Fingerprints" (by S. Yoon, Q. Zhao, and A. K. Jain) [pdf]
- IJCB 2011: Soweon Yoon received the IAPR Best Biometric Student Paper Award for her paper "Latent Fingerprint Enhancement via Robust Orientation Field Estimation" (by S. Yoon, J. Feng, and A. K. Jain) [pdf] [picture]
- IEEE SPS 2011: Karthik Nandakumar received the IEEE Signal Processing Society Young Author Best Paper Award for 2010 for his paper, "Fingerprint-based Fuzzy Vault: Implementation and Performance" (by K. Nandakumar, A. K. Jain, and S. Pankanti) [pdf]
- BTAS 2010: Brendan Klare received the The Honeywell Best Student Paper Award for his paper "On a Taxonomy of Facial Features" (by B. Klare and A. K. Jain) [pdf]
- SIBGRAPI 2010: Alessandra A. Paulino received the Best Student Paper Award for her paper "Latent Fingerprint Matching: Fusion of Manually Marked and Derived Minutiae" (by A. A. Paulino, A. K. Jain, and J. Feng) [pdf]
- ICPR 2010: Kien Nguyen received the IBM Best Student Paper Award for his paper in Track VI "Automated Gland Segmentation and Classification for Gleason Grading of Prostate Tissue Images" (by K. Nguyen, A. K. Jain, and R. Allen) [pdf]
- ICPR 2010: Y-B. Lee, U. Park, and A. K. Jain received the Best Scientific Paper Award for their paper in Track II "PILL-ID: Matching and Retrieval of Drug Pill Imprint Images" [pdf]
- BTAS 2009: K. Nandakumar, A. Ross, and A. K. Jain received the Poster Paper Award for "Biometric Fusion: Does Modeling Correlation Really Matter?" [pdf]
- ICB 2009: Yi Chen received the Accenture Best Paper Award for her paper "Beyond Minutiae: A Fingerprint Individuality Model with Pattern, Ridge and Pore Features" (by Y. Chen and A. K. Jain) [pdf]
- BCC 2008: Jung-Eun Lee received the Best Paper Award for "Scars, Marks and Tattoos (SMT): Soft Biometric for Suspect and Victim Identification" (by J.-E. Lee, A. K. Jain, and R. Jin) [pdf]
- ICPR 2008: Abhishek Nagar received the Best Scientific Paper Award for his paper "Securing Fingerprint Template: Fuzzy Vault with Minutiae Descriptors" (by A. Nagar, K. Nandakumar, and A. K. Jain) [pdf]
- PCM 2007: A. K. Jain, J. Lee, and R. Jin, " Tattoo-ID: Automatic Tattoo Image Retrieval for Suspect & Victim Identification" [pdf]
- BYSM 2007: Y. Chen and A. K. Jain received The Lockheed-Martin Corporation Best Paper Awards for their paper "Dots And Incipients: Extended Features for Partial Fingerprint Matching" [pdf]
- ICB 2006: J. Fierrez-Aguilar, Y. Chen, J. Ortega-Garcia, and A. K. Jain received the Motorola Best Student Paper Award for the paper " Incorporating image quality in multi-algorithm fingerprint verification" [pdf]
- Pattern Recognition 2005: A. K. Jain, K. Nandakumar, and A. Ross received the Best Paper Award for their paper " Score Normalization in Multimodal Biometric Systems" [pdf]
- AVBPA 2005: Umut Uludag received the Best Student Paper Award sponsored by Identix Incorporated for the paper "Fuzzy Vault for Fingerprints" (by U. Uludag, S. Pankanti, and A. K. Jain) [pdf]
- Jain featured in Payments Dive news article: "Will biometrics be the future of payments?", published September 26, 2022.
- Jain tapped for National Academies study, which would help shape the future of face recognition. July 6, 2022.
- Jain and his students' work on Infant-Prints featured in Biometric Update. April. 19, 2021.
- Jain quoted in the article Why Facial Recognition in Shoplifting Cases Can Cause Mistakes in Consumer Reports. April. 16, 2021.
- Jain and his students' work on Infant-Prints featured in MSU Today. April. 12, 2021.
- Jain and former postdoctoral associates Hu Han and Di Wen, have been awarded the Best Paper Award from the IEEE Signal Processing Society (SPS) for their paper "Face Spoof Detection With Image Distortion Analysis". April. 9, 2021. [link]
- Jain has been elected as a Foreign member of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), 2019.
- BBC interview on biometric data privacy. [mp3]
- Jain and his students' work on Primate Face Recognition, PrimID, is featured in SpringWise.
- Jain and his student's work on ID-Selfie matching featured in NVIDIA Developer .
- Jain and his group assisted in identifying illegal chimpanzee trade with the help of automatic face recognition. [link]
- Jain received the Distinguished Alumnus Award (DAA) of the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (IITK). It is the highest award given by the Institute to its alumni in recognition of their achievements of exceptional merit. [news]
- Jain quoted in
San Francisco Chronicle,
Before It’s News,
Tech Switch on iPhone Face-ID.
- Jain, Dr. Kai Cao, and Dr. Sunpreet S. Arora were awarded Lansing Police Department's Civilian Citation at Lansing Police Dept. Award Ceremony and MSUPD presented him the Meritorious Service Award “in response to the assistance provided to the Digital Forensics and Computer Crimes Unit”. [news][photo][photo]
February 17 2017
- Jain and his team's work on lemur face recognition featured on
- Jain and his team's work on infant fingerprints featured on Forbes, MSU Today, September 2016. Know more about it at: [Watch the Video] [Report]
- Jain has been elected a Foreign Fellow by the Indian National Academy of Engineering. Along with the INAE honor this fall, he will be inducted into the National Academy of Engineering (NAE) on Oct. 9 in Washington, D.C. -- one of the highest professional distinctions accorded to an engineer in the United States.
- Jain quoted in TechRepublic article Why an eye scan could soon unlock Samsung and Apple phones, July 28, 2016.
- Research on creating 2D and 3D fingerprint replicas at PRIP lab helps law enforcement agencies to fight crime. This research work is featured in both National and International media: MSU Today, Detroit Free Press, Lansing State Journal, BBC UK Podcast, Quartz, Jetzt, Forbes, NPR, Archer Security Group, Chicago Tribune, New York Daily, The Guardian, The Indian Express, DailyMail, UK, The Telegraph, UK, Fusion, Gizmodo, Australia, TechWorm, Naked Security, Geeky Gadgets, PhoneRadar, StockHouse, The Gospel Herald, Information Week, TechFacts Live, Yahoo News, Smithsonian, Popular Mechanics, KABC, HotHardware, TechSpot, PCMag, The Inquirer, Planet Biometrics, Metro, UK, GearBrain, International Business Times, Gizmodo, UK, MacRumors, Inverse, TechRadar, Softpedia, The Next Web, Mo4ch, Mashable, Digital Trends, Carbonated, Complex, RawStory, AOL, Engadget, DailyCaller, 3dprint, 3Ders, Slashgear, UberGizmo, The Verge, Inverse, July 21, 2016.
- Jain and his team's work on infant fingerprints AI and Infant Fingerprints Could Track Vaccinations, Identify Missing Kids featured on NVIDIA's official blog, July 19, 2016.
- Jain quoted in the MIT Technology Review article Are Face Recognition Systems Accurate? Depends on Your Race. by Mike Orcutt, July 6, 2016.
- Jain quoted in the MIT Technology Review article As It Searches for Suspects, the FBI May Be Looking at You by Mike Orcutt, June 23, 2016.
- Research on Fingerprint ID system for babies in news: HowStuffWorks, June 23, 2016, Digital Trends, June 16, 2016.
- Jain featured in Times of India article Trust at your Fingertips by Narayanan Krishnaswami, June 19, 2016. [text]
- Jain quoted in the NewScientist article We now have the tech to fingerprint babies - but should we? by Aviva Rutkin, June 15, 2016
- Jain visited ZKTeco, China, June 15, 2016
- Jain talks about past, present and future of biometrics in an interview with Pankaj Mishra from FactorDaily.com, June 13, 2016
- Facial recognition research featured on ClickOnDetroit [video], March 28, 2016.
- Jain explains hacking smartphones using 2D printed fingerprints on WJR Radio Detroit (The Internet Advisor), March 26, 2016.
- Method to hack smartphone fingerprint sensors using conductive inkjet technology featured on Yahoo News, March 9, 2016, EWeek, March 9, 2016, CBSlocal, March 8, 2016, BGR, March 8, 2016, wonderhowto, March 8, 2016, SiliconRepublic, March 8, 2016, theinquirer, March 8, 2016, boingboing, March 6, 2016, qz, March 5, 2016, nextgov, March 3, 2016, WSJ, February 24, 2016, MSU Youtube Channel, Feb 19, 2016.
- Jain quoted in NBC Chicago (Who Owns Your Face? Battle Brews Over Facial Recognition), February 29, 2016.
- Face retrieval research featured on WLNS.com, February 29, 2016.
- Research on using fingerprints for infant healthcare management featured on WLNS.com, February 26, 2016.
- Jain elected to the National Academy of Engineering [EGR News], February 8, 2016.
- Using infant fingerprints to track vaccination schedules and improve vaccination coverage [Facebook] [YouTube],February 4, 2016.
- Jain named a fellow of the National Academy of Inventors [MSU Today], December 21, 2015.
- Face Search at Scale and FaceSketchID systems featured on Michigan Radio, December 7, 2015.
- Tattoo-ID system featured on USA Today, December 2, 2015.
- Large scale face search technology licensed to NEC Corp. America [MSU Today], December 1, 2015.
- Jain featured as a Spartan Crime Fighter on MSU Today, November 1, 2015.
September 2015 - October 2015
September 2015 - October 2015
- Jain quoted in IEEE Spectrum (FBI wants better automated analysis for tattoos), August 19, 2015.
- Jain interviewed by Charles Severance about the evolution of the biometric recognition field for IEEE Computer, July 22, 2015. [pdf]
- Jain quoted in CBS News (FBI using facial recognition despite privacy concerns), July 6, 2015.
- Article discussing the role of biometrics in forensic science featured on planetbiometrics.com, June 29, 2015.
- Research investigating persistence of fingerprint recognition accuracy over time featured on MSU Today, June 29, 2015.
- Former student honors Jain with endowed fund, June 1, 2015 [MSU Today].
- Jain quoted in CBS Minnesota (Good Question: How Does Facial Recognition Technology Work?), May 14, 2015.
- Research on using fingerprints to track vaccination schedules of infants and toddlers featured on WILX.com, February 13, 2015, Fox 47 News, February 14, 2015.
- Jain quoted in TheIndyChannel.com, February 9, 2015, 23abc, February 9 2015, wptv.com, February 9, 2015, wkbw.com, February 9, 2015, Naples Daily News, February 9, 2015, kshb.com, February 9, 2015, TheDenverChannel.com, February 9, 2015 (False convictions leave communities to deal with the consequences).
- Jain interviewed about the use of technology in solving the Paris shootings on Bloomberg TV, January 7, 2015.
- PRIP lab research featured on BTN Live, December 2, 2014.
- The FaceSketchID system featured on MSU Today, November 11, 2014.
- Jain interviewed about identifying the executioner of American journalist James Foley on Bloomberg TV, August 22, 2014.
- Technology to create wearable 3D fingerprint artifacts featured on Fox 47 News, May 6, 2014.
- Technology to create 3D fingerprint phantoms featured in The State News, March 18 2014, 3dprinterworld.com, March 18, 2014, whiteclouds.com, March 18, 2014, 3dprinting.com, March 13, 2014, engineering.com, March 13, 2014, 3dprinter.net, March 13, 2014, 3dprintingindustry.com, March 12, 2014, 3ders.org, March 8, 2014, domain-B, March 8, 2014, International Business Times, March 8, 2014, Deccan Chronicle, March 8, 2014, The Financial Express, March 8, 2014, Jagran Josh, March 7, 2014, AOL, March 7, 2014, Indiatimes, March 6, 2014, The Times of India, March 6, 2014, FirstPost, March 6, 2014, IEEE Spectrum, March 6, 2014, CrazyEngineers, March 6, 2014, Computer Business Review, March 6, 2014, The Hindu Business Line, March 6, 2014, SiliconIndia.com, March 6, 2014, NDTV Gadgets, March 6, 2014, Gulf Today, March 6, 2014, India Today, March 6, 2014, IANS, March 6, 2014, India.com, March 6, 2014, Fox47 News, March 5, 2014, The American Bazaar, March 5, 2014, MSU Today, March 4, 2014.
- Jain interviewed about emerging biometric technologies in the consumer mainstream by the New York Times, December 28, 2013.
- Jain's research has been widely recognized in the fields of pattern recognition and biometrics (more than 100,000 citations). [Google Scholar], [H-index]
- Soweon Yoon interviewed about palmprint matching [link], October 24, 2013.
- Jain interviewed about the Biometric Optical Surveillance System (BOSS), a crowd scanning project by the Department of Homeland Security by the New York Times, Ars Technica and CBS Minnesota Radio [audio], August 21, 2013.
- Jain interviewed about the development of a new biometric voting system for Tanzania by iSGTW magazine, July 17, 2013.
- Jain's research featured in Homeland Security News Wire, May 28, 2013, Phys.org, Science Daily and MSU Today, May 24, 2013.
- Jain interviewed in BYU Radio, April 29, 2013.
- Jain featured in NOVA [htm], April 26, 2013, Mercury News [htm], April 19, 2013, and MIT Technology Review [htm], April 18, 2013.
- Jain featured in WAMU Kojo Nnamdi Show, April 23, 2013.
- Jain featured in KQED (The Forensics of Finding a Bomber), April 18, 2013. audio
- Interview video for APSIPA (Asia Pacific Signal & Image Processing Association) Social Net, Dec. 2012. Youtube Youku
- Tattoo Recognition system featured in Government Technology, Nov. 6, 2012.
- Jain's research featured in Morpho News (Biometrics: the Expertise of Michigan State University), May 2, 2012.
- Jain quoted in The Economic Times, (UIDAI: Banking on Biometrics to Give you a Unique Identity), April 26, 2012.
- Jain featured in Forbes India, (18 Indian Minds Who Are Doing Cutting Edge Work), March 3, 2012.
- Graffiti matching system featured in Popular Science, Nov. 18, 2011, and NewScientist.com, Nov. 17, 2011.
- Technology to Detect Altered Fingerprints featured in Voice of America, Jan. 27, 2012 (audio), The Times of India, Sept. 22, 2011, Engineering News, Sept. 16, 2011, Homeland Security Newswire, Sept. 13, 2011, Channel 10 [website] and [video file], Sept. 12, 2011, State News, Sept. 12, 2011, Chicago Tribune, Sept. 11, 2011, chron.com, Sept. 11, 2011, thetimesherald.com, Sept. 11, 2011, MSU News, Sept. 09, 2011.
- Technology to Match Forensic Sketches to Mugshots featured in The Institute, 2012, Channel 10, May 19, 2011, Channel 4 - Detroit, May 2011, State News, April 15, 2011, SmartPlanet.com, March 17, 2011, Lansing State Journal, March 14, 2011, MSU News, March 03, 2011.
- PRIP lab research featured in CNN, May 4, 2011.
- Tattoo Detective, Wired Magazine, pp. 48, Dec. 2010.
- Report on Biometrics from National Academies, Sept. 24, 2010.
- Jain quoted in sfweekly.com, July 14, 2010, cnn.com, July 9, 2010, cnn.com, March 15, 2010.
- Interview on amlansing.com, January 26, 2010.